Posted on 2019-11-07, by nokia241186.
Inside Arabic Music: Arabic Maqam Performance and Theory in the 20th Century by Johnny Farraj, Sami Abu Shumays
2019 | ISBN: 0190658355, 0190658363 | English | 480 pages | PDF | 16 MB
What makes hundreds of listeners cheer ecstatically at the same instant during a live concert by Egyptian diva Umm Kulthum? What is the unspoken language behind a taqsim (traditional instrumental improvisation) that performers and listeners implicitly know? How can Arabic music be so rich and diverse without resorting to harmony? Why is it so challenging to transcribe Arabic music from a recording? Inside Arabic Music answers these and many other questions from the perspective of two "insiders" to the practice of Arabic music, by documenting a performance culture and a know-how that is largely passed on orally.
Arabic music has spread across the globe, influencing music from Greece all the way to India in the mid-20th century through radio and musical cinema, and global popular culture through Raqs Sharqi, known as "Bellydance" in the West. Yet despite its popularity and influence, Arabic music, and the maqam scale system at its heart, remain widely misunderstood. Inside Arabic Music de-mystifies maqam with an approach that draws theory directly from practice, and presents theoretical insights that will be useful to practitioners, from the beginner to the expert - as well as those interested in the related Persian, Central Asian, and Turkish makam traditions. Inside Arabic Music's discussion of maqam and improvisation widens general understanding of music as well, by bringing in ideas from Saussurean linguistics, network theory, and Lakoff and Johnson's theory of cognition as metaphor, with an approach parallel to Gjerdingen's analysis of Galant-period music - offering a lens into the deeper relationships among music, culture, and human community.
(Buy premium account for maximum speed and resuming ability)
- Ebooks list page : 41732
- 2019-09-26Inside Arabic Music: Arabic Maqam Performance and Theory in the 20th Century
- 2019-08-27Inside Arabic Music Arabic Maqam Performance and Theory in the 20th Century
- 2019-04-10Udemy Popular Music History Pop Rock And Dance In The 20th Century Tutorial
- 2019-01-13Udemy Popular Music History Pop Rock and Dance in the 20th Century TUTORiAL
- 2011-11-07Managing Construction and Infrastructure in the 21st Century Bureau of Reclamation
- 2010-04-16From Modernism to Postmodernism: American Poetry and Theory in the Twentieth Century
- 2018-08-16Rational Number Theory in the 20th Century From PNT to FLT
- 2017-12-28[PDF] Rational Number Theory in the 20th Century: From PNT to FLT (Springer Monographs in Mathematics) - Removed
- 2017-11-17[PDF] TTC Video - Utopia and Terror in the 20th Century
- 2017-11-14[PDF] Remembering War: The Great War between Memory and History in the 20th Century
- 2017-01-14[PDF] Remembering War: The Great War between Memory and History in the 20th Century
- 2014-05-29Rational Number Theory in the 20th Century: From PNT to FLT (repost) - Removed
- 2013-07-19Contributions to the History of Number Theory in the 20th Century (Heritage of European Mathematics)
- 2013-06-10A Science Career Against all Odds: A Life of Survival, Study, Teaching and Travel in the 20th Century (repost)
- 2013-06-03Rational Number Theory in the 20th Century: From PNT to FLT
- 2012-04-23A Science Career Against all Odds: A Life of Survival, Study, Teaching and Travel in the 20th Century (Repost)
- 2012-02-15TTC Video - Utopia and Terror in the 20th Century [repost]
- 2011-12-20TTC Video ?– European Thought and Culture in the 20th Century
- 2011-12-14TTC Video - European Thought and Culture in the 20th Century
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.